Friday, February 8, 2013

There's history in those hands.....

I remember when I was a little girl hearing my Mom say she couldn't believe her hands were starting to look just like her mom's. I asked what she meant and she patiently pointed out the large veins, and the many brown "age" spots as she called them. I vaguely remember thinking she was crazy, Grandma is old and she wasn't.  Plus hands can't possibly look alike, they belong just to you. Fast forward, too many years to mention....
I recently removed my acrylics nails. I have had them on for 25 long years! After my 1st manicure I looked down and lo and behold, like my mother before me I saw my mothers hand in my own, large veins, the brown "age" spots, they are all there, even the shape of my fingers. Since I look so much like my Dad I never imagined I would see what I saw. My mind tells me it should make me feel old, but its strangely comforting. Now I am beginning to wonder will my daughter who looks so much like her dad find herself looking down one day and see history in her hands. Only time will tell..

1 comment: